Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why Effective Communication?

As I grew and matured over the years, I became more aware of myself and my surroundings. I started to take heed of my own actions and tone of speech towards others. At the same time, I observed many differing responses from people, both verbal and non-verbal, to the way I interacted with them. As I asked for reasons why some have reacted irksomely or felt uncomfortable being around me, it dawned on me that positivity and sensitivity are two important aspects of good communication.

No one likes being around dull and pessimistic people, neither do they enjoy the company of a person who often speaks negative words to put people down. As such, I have learnt to make use of positive facial expressions and tone to make a conversation more friendly and engaging. Smiling, adopting a positive posture and making eye-contact are some of the non-verbal communication techniques that I have picked up. Little did I know these skills span from a wider and more holistic approach to effective communication which I will discover in ES2007S.

Being sensitive in speech is important. After all, I speak (or type) from conviction that it is not what you say, but how you say it that matters. Being sensitive also means being an active listener in conversations. Learning to communicate effectively increases my conscious capacity to understand others first before putting across my ideas and opinions, thereby helping me to be a better leader and teacher in the future.

I am definitely looking forward to more lessons in Professional Communication! ;)

Comic relief drawn by a friend of mine who speaks in animal language and calls me flamingo :p

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting cartoon indeed :) It seems to touch on a very significant aspect of communication- people may come in different shades but essentially all people appreciate a warm approachable personality that can only be projected through good communication. The non-verbal cues that accompany our verbal communication like a warm smile, a firm handshake and non-threatening eye contact are all part of that package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we need to understand the needs and perspectives of others to promote effective communication. This is something that most of us fail to do so, especially when we see our opinions and wants more important than the rest around us. By being sensitive to the feelings of people, we are able to manage relationships better and be a more patient active listener. Afterall, a great leader is one who is willing to listen to the voices and views of his people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Yijie, a leader needs to listen to the voices and views of his people and to foster understanding and unity in order to work towards a common goal. I'm sure this module will be beneficial to the both of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, positivity can definitely brighten someone's day and make the listener feel comfortable when talking to you. I agree that sensitivity is important in effective communication. Being sensitive means being tactful in what you say and at the same time, being aware of the listeners' behaviour and thoughts when you speak to them. In the latter case, non-verbal cues, such as frowning, are good ways to detect any discomfort that the listeners have. This can signal the speaker to change the way he presents the topic. In this way, potential conflicts can be avoided. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right about the role that sensitivity plays in good communication. I think another way of viewing this is to see good communication as operating with a feedback mechanism. One party will try to communicate certain ideas and thoughts in what he or she thinks is the best way possible, but there is no set method to suit all. Hence the need to be sensitive to the reaction, or feedback provided by the other party and alter the content and manner of communication if necessary. For effective communication, there needs to be a ongoing feedback loop, so it's not just about speaking, but also about listening and watching the other party. Your one word sensitivity sums it up well!

    ReplyDelete